I completed my first sourdough course in 2014 in New York with the master baker Melissa Weller - Melissa has baked in New York's most celebrated restaurants and bakeries. After teaching me the basics I came back home and started experimenting with different baking techniques and various flour available in South Africa.
I have over the past 7 years simplified the process for beginners. You will be able to confidently bake a loaf in your own kitchen after the first demonstration. After this you just have to practice.
My workshops are fun yet thorough and teaches the benefits of slow fermentation. It's an ideal workshop for beginners!
You will learn:
1. Naturally yeasted sourdough bread
2. The sourdough bread-making process
3. How to harness natural yeast bacteria
4. How to maintain your own starter
5. Making your own time schedule
6. Mixing the dough
12. Scoring techniques
13. Baking and cooling
14. Traditional mills in South Africa
15. What to do with your sourdough discard?
The workshop runs once a month on a Saturday.
The workshop will include a light lunch and you'll take home your own motherload/starter called "meisie".
Time: 9:00am – 1pm
Venue: My home in leafy Houghton, Johannesburg
Dates for 2021
Saturday, 11 September 2021
Includes a light lunch